Château de Bussy-Rabutin
The Rabutin family bought the property in 1602 and completed the construction of the castle in 1649. Roger, Count of Bussy (1618 - 1693) and cousin of the famous Marquise de Sévigné, inherited it at a time when all of the decorations remained to be done. Roger was exiled from Paris by King Louis XIV, and consequently has all his time to attend to the improvements of the edifice.
The Count Bussy-Rabutin had been forced into exile as a result of manipulations by a jealous mistress. Bussy-Rabutin was a vain man and enjoyed making fun of the nobility's social life in Paris. He wrote a book with anecdotes from this social life, and his witty tongue often slipped at the expense of other people. He told the former mistress about the writing of the book, and she asked to see the draft. He stupidly allowed her to see it, and before he knew it she had copied it, added vicious chapters about people close to the king - and published it all in the name of Bussy-Rabutin. The book made a scandal, the king was furious, and Bussy-Rabutin was confined to his castle.